Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Announces Holiday in the Park Lights
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, today announced a new, modified holiday event — Holiday in the Park Lights. A seasonal mix of the animal-focused Marine World Experience, Holiday in the Park Lights is an outdoor event that features themed marine animal presentations, millions of twinkling lights, decorations around the park, and festive food offerings, in a safe and fun environment. Six Flags worked in partnership with its health and epidemiologist consultants to create a holiday experience that meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines. Guests must make reservations to visit and park attendance will be carefully monitored to avoid overcrowding and ensure safe social distancing. Per state requirements, rides will not be in operation.
“Visiting Holiday in the Park has been an annual tradition for families all across Northern California for many years,” said Park President Janine Durette. “In these uncertain times, we believe that it is even more important to create an atmosphere where family and friends can enjoy the magic of the holiday season. The health and safety of our guests, team members, and animals remains our highest priority as we open our gates to welcome guests for Holiday in the Park Lights.”
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has successfully been operating as The Marine World Experience since July 2 with comprehensive safety measures that include the following:
- All team members (including holiday characters), and all guests three years and up, will be required to wear masks covering the nose and mouth while in the parks;
- A limited number of holiday characters will always remain at least six feet away from guests and each other;
- Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet;
- Decorations, tables, benches, handrails, and all dining and restroom facilities will be cleaned and sanitized regularly; and
- Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations will be located throughout the park for guest and team member usage.
Holiday in the Park Lights will operate select days, November 27, 2020 through January 3, 2021. Families can celebrate the holidays together with a variety of safe activities including:
- Millions of dazzling LED lights and spectacular light displays;
- Themed areas around the park with opportunities to meet and greet holiday characters from a safe social distance;
- Joyous holiday-themed entertainment that features sea lions in A Very Merry Christmas and dolphins in A Dolphin Holiday and Wanted: Santa’s Helper;
- Opportunities to meet and take a memorable photo with live penguins;
- Special, scrumptious seasonal menu items including gooey s’mores enjoyed next to toasty fire pits;
- One-stop holiday shopping with hundreds of perfect stocking stuffers like fun apparel, unique ornaments and soft plush toys. For every Holiday Friend plush toy purchased, Six Flags will donate a plush to local children’s hospitals and non-profit organizations while supplies last;
- New opportunities to meet and learn more about the marine animals in the park’s care; and
- Dozens of holiday-inspired, Instagram-worthy photo opportunities featuring giant ornaments, massive stacks of presents, and larger-than-life toys.
During the opening weekend of Holiday in the Park Lights, November 27 through November 29, the park has partnered with The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, a member of Feeding America, to accept canned food donations in exchange for an admission ticket valid for use the same day. Six Flags Members and Pass Holders who donate will receive a Holiday in the Park mug or ornament while supplies last.